Built as an inn in 1451 and added to throughout Tudor and Stuart times, the building was known as 'The Smithies Arms'. The restaurant now carries an excellent reputation for its cuisine and wines and is well positioned on the busy High Street within the quaint village of Elham, which lies in the centre of Elham Valley; an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Inside the Abbot’s Fireside there are many original features such as the huge medieval fireplace and leaded glass windows. The Inn offers seven tastefully decorated en suite bedrooms, which have all been named after well-known or local people relating to the history of the building.
Externally there is a small courtyard garden to the rear and additional seating to the front, as well as carparking for patrons.
Current owners, Eric and Helen Gaskell have been running the pub for the last three and a half years and have taken the decision to sell the Abbot’s Fireside to retire from the business. They comment, “We are ready to retire and look forward to the next chapter.”
James Hughes, Senior Business Agent at Christie & Co, is handling the sale and comments, “The Abbot’s Fireside is located in the tranquil village of Elham. It is well situated due to its close proximity to the channel ferry crossing and Euro tunnel, meaning they get lots of tourists visiting and staying from overseas. It is a great opportunity for a new operator to push this business even further.”
The Abbot’s Fireside is on the market at an asking price of £675,000 for the freehold interest.