Leisure Property Advice
Looking to buy or sell a leisure business property? Christie & Co has been accredited with the title of 'UK’s most active agent' in the leisure and hotel sector for five consecutive years. We're able to provide agency, advisory, and consultancy advice across the board.
With 13% of family income spent on Recreation and Culture and a further 8% spent on restaurants and hotels according to the Family Spending Survey, UK families spend more on leisure services than all housing-related goods and services combined.
Investors are increasingly drawn to the more attractive yields and returns this “Alternative” market offers, ensuring the market for well-located and invested trading business, as well as primary and opportunity-led secondary investment opportunities, remains buoyant.
The leisure market continues to be dominated by private equity-backed corporate operators and has seen ongoing high levels of merger and acquisition activity. Investors’ attraction to the sector means IPOs are on the agenda once more (e.g. Pure Gym, The Original Bowling Company) and they seem particularly attracted to quality covenants including long-term income opportunities as evidenced by M&G’s ground rent portfolio acquisitions of David Lloyd Leisure & Bannatyne Fitness.
We’ve a comprehensive range of leisure businesses for sale here at Christie & Co., and whether you’re looking to make a sale, or you’re seeking a new acquisition, our expertly trained and highly knowledgeable team can help.
Business opportunity: Domestic demand for buying leisure businesses
The primary demand for UK leisure assets continues to be domestic, coming from a broad spectrum of buyers including operators, PE funds, Investors, and HNWI’s. Portfolio interest has attracted overseas investors from the US and Asia, and given the comparably strong economic platform of the UK’s leisure sector and the present attractive interest rate, we envisage this will continue.
Whether urban or rural, buyers of businesses, properties, and development opportunities in the sector remain focused on the best possible locations. Investment decisions can be influenced by many factors including access to funding, tenure, quality of assets, competition, demographics, accessibility, parking, and footfall. Buyers will also be keen to exploit opportunities to increase trade and profitability via operational, investment, and branding improvements, so leisure businesses that present “upside options” are the ones most in demand. The holiday park, budget gym, and bourgeoning trampoline sector, which has expanded rapidly to some 80 parks around the UK, continue to be highly sought-after leisure facility sub-sectors.
Value-for-money leisure business properties for sale
While value-for-money real estate transactions located within central London remain exceptionally difficult to come by, along with the high costs of occupation, there is still significant demand for the best locations.
In provincial UK, we’ve seen overseas investors waking up to the opportunities that are on offer outside of London – quality leisure businesses providing value for money are in demand, and together with existing domestic buyers already keen to get a foot in the door, this is driving competition for these sites. There are no shortage of interested parties keen to grab a slice of this property pie!
With a thriving sector with plenty of opportunity, operators, investors, and developers require trade and market intelligence in the most granular of formats in order to assist their buying, selling, and investment strategies. With Christie & Co., you'll have access to the UK’s largest team of agents and valuers in each of our sectors, providing you with accurate and timely advice to help you understand your investment opportunities.
Profitable leisure sector businesses
The leisure sector in the UK offers a wide range of opportunities for investors and entrepreneurs. Here are some of the most sought-after leisure business types in the UK:
- Holiday Lets: The holiday let sector is a growing market, driven by the desire for unique and personalised vacation experiences. Property owners can capitalise on this trend by offering short-term rentals in popular tourist destinations.
- Caravan Parks: Caravan parks are another popular choice for investors in the leisure sector. These parks cater to individuals seeking affordable and flexible holiday accommodations, often in scenic or rural settings.
- Trampoline Parks: The trampoline park sector has rapidly expanded, with around 80 parks across the UK. These facilities offer a fun and active experience for families and individuals, making them a sought-after investment.
- Upmarket Fitness Centers: High-end fitness centers situated in rural locations offer a unique and upscale fitness experience. They often appeal to health-conscious individuals seeking premium services and amenities.
- Golf Courses: Golf courses, especially those incorporated into larger leisure properties, represent a significant opportunity for investors. They can generate substantial revenue through memberships, events, and tournaments.
- Entertainment Venues: Entertainment venues that host a variety of activities, including concerts, shows, and events, provide an opportunity for investors to tap into the diverse entertainment market.
Information on buying and selling leisure businesses
At Christie & Co., we’re experts in buying and selling leisure businesses. Whether you’re seeking to invest in a thriving go-karting business on the outskirts of a town centre, or an upmarket fitness centre in the heart of rural England.
The leisure sector represents a huge chunk of successful business ventures within the UK. It’s part of the reason why so many potential buyers are willing to pay hefty sums for such properties — whether it’s fitness facilities comprising golf courses, or holiday and residential parks with onsite car parking, the potential for a high annual net profit is too tempting to refuse!
Whether you’re a business broker mulling over a potential new venture, or you’d like the advice of our experienced business buyers regarding the sale of a leisure business, contact our valuation and finance experts today.